April 02, 2008

April 2nd Washed Indoors...

Today turned into a complete wash. I had planned to explore Leo's 9 acres of property. So I get up and have breakfast then get dressed to go out and explore. My plan was to take my camera and take photos of the landscape and the Dairy Flat hills. I managed a few photos. I was no more than 5 minutes into my exploration when the skies opened up and started to rain. This is a shot i got at the start of my exploring. it has the forest that is on Leo's property in the background. I would like to get to the top of the hills. that lies amongst the trees that are the tallest at the top of the picture. Not short after this picture was taken the skies opened up. I was forced to take cover. This is the next picture that I took, it started to rain hard so i jumped under some heavy pine tree cover. Sat on the roots and waited for the rain lightened up a bit. I was under here for approximately 12 minutes. After the rain lightened up to a mist i jumped out and headed back for the house.
This is the last photo I took in the mist, I was checking out the scenery. The vision is rather blury and the picture that I took did not come out. On a nice day i will take the photo of the landscape and post it. I will do this trip again in the near future and will have better shots of the property and Dairy Flat hills.
A little note about the Dairy Flat Hills: I do not know if that is their real name. Leo is unsure what they are called and her parents have the same answer. So I am labeling them the Dairy Flat Hills. The property that the Joy's house and the neighboring houses is located on used to be the village center. Back in the 1920s and 1930s Burne Road led into Dairy Flat Village. It was a tent village, no permanent structures were built. After awhile the tent village went down hill and it was closed up. Once that happened people bought up the land and put structures of the property. With very little changing till today Dairy Flat is left without a village center. Dairy Flat is more known for being outside of Albany and Silverdale (Nearby towns that have town centre). Once and awhile when digging on the property Mr. Joy has come upon silverware and other artifacts that show a tent village used to be here.
Alright enough of the history, what have i been up to the past few days. Yesterday I went on my job interview with the New Zealand Post. It seemed to go well, keep your fingers crossed. The interview was very similar to that of one i had with the United States Postal Service. I had to describe my duties and the USPS and what have you. We had some good laughs comparing the two different postal systems. Many differences but also many similarities. All in All the interview took approximately 44 minutes. I also received a tour of the warehouse. Today I received a call telling me that they are going ahead and contacting my References. Which i am guessing is a good sign, but keep your fingers crossed.
What are my plans for the next few days? Well i have signed up to run a local road race. It is a big nearby town event. This is on sunday. It is the Devonport 5k/10k Run/Walk. I am running the 5k and Mrs. Joy is walking the 5k, Leo is coming along as a supportor. On saturday we need to got to Devonport to pick up our race packets and instructions for the race day. So we are going to make a day out of it. Devonport is a beach village with main street passing along the water front. So that should be nice. Next time you guys see my post hopefully i will have a job and will have the results of the 5k race.
Here is the Link to the Race Website: http://devonportclassic.co.nz/
Hope everyone is doing well, I send my regards to All
-Mike



No comments: